Global manufacturer Milliken & Company has released its third annual corporate sustainability report, entitled Together for Tomorrow. This report, which analyzes Milliken’s performance through the lens of its holistic sustainability efforts, highlights its progress towards the 2025 sustainability goals the company set in 2018. Covering people, product and planet, this report creates increased accountability while inviting new conversations and collaborations as the company works to create a positive impact on the world that will last generations.
“Together, we met the critical moments from 2020,” shares Halsey Cook, president and CEO for Milliken. “We pivoted production lines, launched new innovations, and rallied our team to improve our sustainability metrics in 10 of 12 strategic categories. Our sustainability initiatives have momentum and are fundamentally changing our business.”
As a material science expert serving the chemical, flooring, textile and healthcare industries, Milliken associates annually review and report on the company’s progress, and their findings shape this report. Completed in alignment with the Global Reporting Initiative framework, Together for Tomorrow is available to the public as a digital experience with downloadable content.
In 2020, Milliken made significant progress in its planet, product and people goals, notably:
- Doubling down on our ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equality, and inclusion in the face of social unrest;
- Focusing development and manufacturing process on helping fight COVID-19 by producing medical-grade fabric gowns, face shields and flooring that assists with social distancing efforts;
- Prioritizing associate safety, particularly essential workers, by enhancing the company’s safety-first culture during the pandemic;
- Bolstering the plastics circularity discussion by convening thought leaders with a goal to illuminate workable ecosystem solutions hosted by National Geographic Creative Works;
- Continuing to invest capital to eliminate coal as a primary fuel source, thereby reducing GHG emissions and reduce waste;
- Acquiring Borchers—Milliken’s largest acquisition to date—which will scale the company’s coating additives platform in a way that reduces solvents and environmental impact; and
- Launching the Milliken Leadership Model, which will train associates on growth leadership with purpose.