ABB has inaugurated a new and expanded R&D and engineering facility, the ABB Innovation Center (AIC), in Bengaluru, India. This state-of-the-art facility is one of ABB’s largest globally and serves as the backbone for technology developments to accelerate innovation. It houses 2,500 diverse technologists, including engineers, principal and data scientists, architects, domain and analytics specialists, programmers, and developers.
The new AIC facility, spread over 3,30,000 sq. ft across eight floors, offers a work environment and ecosystem for open and seamless collaboration. This facility aligns with ABB’s sustainability commitment to enable a low-carbon emission society. More than 25,000 ABB products, including 3,000 IoT-enabled products used in the Building Management System (BMS), offer savings of 20 per cent in energy bills with a potential of saving 40 per cent on maintenance costs and up to 30 per cent on operational costs.
AIC’s three strategic arms - the Corporate Technology Center, India Operations Center and Process Automation Digital have been instrumental in: -
- Providing solutions with next-level AI, ML, data analytics, 3D and digital wins, multiphysics modelling & IIoT tech
- Industry-academic partnerships with top-rated Indian institutions
- Playing a key role in the development of ABB’s global digital solutions like ABB Ability® Genix – the industrial analytics and AI suite
- Worked on innovations like the next generation of solar pump drives used across multiple geographies
- Remote condition monitoring of 8,500 robots across 42 countries & simulation software for multiple robotics applications
- High-quality engineering, operations, and services support process automation businesses globally
- Catering to ABB’s Electrification (EL) and Motion (MO) business areas with Centers of Expertise in several critical streams
"As a global technology leader, ABB is deeply rooted in India, with a full range of business activities, from R&D and manufacturing to sales and services. We are committed to staying invested in the country and delivering globally. Our new ABB Innovation Center, along with the one in Hyderabad, is instrumental in developing products and solutions which deploy new-age technologies such as AI, ML, data analytics, edge, and cloud solutions for companies here and globally. We are proud to have offered an inclusive and collaborative work environment to help nurture young talent who play a critical role in making in India for India and the rest of the world,” said Sanjeev Sharma, Country Head and Managing Director, ABB India, Chairman, AIC.
ABB AIC facility is conceptualised as a state-of-the-art Green Building and aims to achieve Platinum Rating under LEED, US Green Building Council (USGBC) rating system. AIC has been designed at par with USGBC’s mission to transform the way buildings and communities are designed, built, and operated to reduce contribution to global climate change and preserve resources.